The Hess Memorial Hospital Auxiliary was founded in 1959 by Louise Hale (a retired nurse) and Elaine Nelson, as a money-raising entity. The group wanted to raise funds for various hospital improvements and to award college scholarships. In 1960, the auxiliary opened a thrift store. The women received donated items from local people and sold the clothing and household good at a very minimal cost. During that time, they also raised money through bake sales, fruit and candy sales, luncheons, card parties, and other forms of entertainment.
After a fire destroyed the original building, land was purchased and a new building was built at the thrift store's current location at 222 Elm Street in Mauston. Over the years, the store has thrived. By 2012, the auxiliary had donated more than $1 million to Mile Bluff Medical Center and more than $140,000 in college scholarships to high school graduates throughout Juneau County.
Five decades ago, the auxiliary donated $94 so the medical center could purchase 12 bathrobes. Now the group is donating $15,000 to $20,000 each quarter to purchase items like a video laryngoscope, mammography machine, a bone density scanning unit and much more. Mile Bluff Medical Center truly appreciates everything the hospital auxiliary has done!
For more information about the store, click here